Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"Let Me Tell You About My Best Friend..."

April 2010
You've got troubles and I've got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together and see it through

Sometimes in life, you meet people—people who you would never expect to have such a big part in your life. See above and below, case in point, my best friend Andrew. When we met over four years ago, no one (not even us!) expected us to be friends. But, we clicked instantly, thanks to a friend, and we've been stuck with each other ever since. 

June 2012
Andrew has been with me through: two broken loves, a graduation, the start of college, moving several times, many job changes, the making of many song parodies/TV shows/novels/etc, and much more.

'Cause you've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me

We've seen countless theatrical shows together, biked many places (sometimes singing obnoxiously through the streets of the north end of Ocean City during the peak tourist season), surprised each other, fought, made up, and adventured numerous places.

Once, Andrew biked fifteen (15!!!!) miles just to let me borrow his laptop because I didn't have one. The conditions were that I edited Wikipedia—which I did, for a while, mostly just grammar stuff—but eventually I fell out of doing it. Did I mention that I also named this computer Sally Mae (aka Sally) for no other reason than it felt right?

June 2013
Even though he lived almost two hours away, ever time Andrew would visit, we would hang out until 1AM talking about the most random of things, but we never ran out of things to talk or laugh about. 

We've discovered good eats, explored the City of Brotherly Love more times than I can remember, and he's always down to explore new places that I've discovered through some sort of history thing I was obsessing over at the time (including, but not limited to, Burlington Island, the Delaware River, Cunningham Piano Factory, the McNeal mansion, Downtown Burlington, Red Bank Battlefield Park, and Downtown Woodbury).

Some other folks might be
A little bit smarter than I am

There wasn't alway much to do where I used to live, so Andrew and I would drive around a lot. During those drives, we always had lots to talk about (what was going on in our lives, current events, random history snippets), but sometimes we would get bored of those things. 

Andrew, being pretty much a genius and and avid Sporcler, would try to get me to learn the states and their capitals, as well as many other things. The states and capitals stick out to me a lot because I remember going through a lot in that time of my life and Andrew is really good at distracting you from bad things and he did this to get my mind off of whatever was the world's end at that point in time.

Honestly, because of Andrew, I know so much more about the world, politics, and hurricanes than I ever thought I would. I can't begin to imagine how little I would know if it weren't for Andrew expanding my world.

March 2014
Bigger and stronger too, maybe
But none of them will ever love you
The way I do it's me and you

He picks me up when I'm feeling down, he'll twirl me around to give me a new perspective... He always has a way to make living life seem lighter somehow.

April 2014
And as the years go by
Our friendship will never die
You're gonna see it's our destiny

He isn't always the voice of calm and reason though. The picture directly above was taken on my birthday this year, only mere hours before the guy on the left cut through the tip of his finger! Normally I freak out at the sight of blood, but I went in to what I call "Mom Mode" and took care of the whole thing. (Spoiler alert: his finger ended up being fine after some minor stitches.)

But even then, Andrew still made the rest of the day a great time, especially since we all had adrenaline highs!

July 2014
Through thick and thin, you've been consistently by my side, Andrew. There aren't a lot of people I can say that about.

It's been over four years... 

      Here's to fourteen.

                To twenty-four.

                     To thirty-four.

                           To forty-four. 

                                To more years than we can count once we're old and (completely) grey...

You've got a friend in me


You've got a friend in me

Love you, Andrew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment