Friday, May 17, 2013

Six Months {Strong}

Bill and I have been together for six months now! Whoa, how time flies. So, for the anniversary, I made him this painting with a quote!

To start out, I wrote the words out on my canvas. I tried to use glitter glue to crest a raised effect, but that didn't work so well. 
Next, I tried tacky glue. I painted each individual stroke of every letter three times (letting each coat dry I between). 
Next, I painted over it with a white base so everything would be the same colour. 
I started to paint with the colour I mixed, which I thought was lighter than it was, but it wasn't. So I ended up painting to whole canvas that colour. 
The edges of the canvas are also painted this dark brown. 
After that, I painted over it with a slightly lighter brown. The effect is kind of cool, the darker brown showing through. I think it makes the background look rustic. 
I then went over the letters, painting each stroke again, but now with the original brown colour. 
And here's the finished product! I made it a month before our anniversary because I got so excited to make it that I couldn't wait to do it!
Bill loved it and is now looking for a place to hang it!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Heather!
    This is a great idea, I think I'm going to have to try the raised writing on canvas myself! I think your site is so cute! I'd like you to know that I nominated you for a Liebster Award! To find out more, please check out my latest post here:

    http://cloudninechic.blogspot.com/2013/05/My-Liebster-Award.html

    Take care!

    Andrea @ Cloud Nine Chic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I feel like it would be better done with a hot glue gun, but also more difficult to control the strokes of your letters.


    And thank you for the nomination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog!
    Now following!!
    Looking forward to keeping up and getting to know you :)

    I also have a blog design site, if you need a custom blog design check it out :)Christinaloranedesigns.blogspot.com

    xo
    christina
    pieceitalltogetherx3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I have an update coming soon, I promise!

      Delete
  4. Great idea!
    Out of curiosity are you on bloglovin'? I usually use bloglovin' as a reader instead of google reader, and I would love to continue to read your blog.

    Check me out at:
    www.artpoliticslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am on Bloglovin'! Just search "lifelovepinterest" and you should find me!

      Thank you so much for wanting to read my blog :)

      Delete
    2. Yes I am on Bloglovin'! Just search "lifelovepinterest" and you should find me!

      Thank you so much for wanting to read my blog :)

      Delete