Thursday, August 27, 2015

sometimes life throws you a curveball (or seven)

Disclaimer: I've been trying to write this blog post for something close to a year now. Last time I looked at it, it was maybe... March? So, I'm just going to pick up where I left off I guess.
I have a habit of being really excited about writing for this little blog of mine and then falling right out of the bloggosphere. To be fair, this time, I have a valid medical reason to not be writing. (On the same token, all I did was lay on a couch for two weeks straight, so I probably could have mustered something up in between sleeping ;) but oh well!) So let's get down to the nitty gritty. 

First things first (I'm the realest), the medical reason. I can't remember if I've ever talked about this on here, but well over a year ago in March of 2013, I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst possible pain I've ever felt in my back. As soon as I could, I went to the doctor and asked her specifically (at the recommendation of B's mom, who is a nurse) if the pain I felt had to do with my gallbladder while describing the pain I felt and where I felt it. Doc said "nothing to worry about, probably a pinched nerve," and I put it out of my mind because it didn't happen again for a long time. Then, surprise!, it started happening again, albeit sporadically. For pretty much the whole month of October, there were at least one day every week where this happened, if not more, finally culminating in the "OH MY GOD MY INSIDES ARE LAVA" feeling the propelled me out of sleep at 4am screaming on the 19th. I barely made it through and made it to work but I was one wrong movement way from either being in excruciating pain or barfing. Luckily, the managers took pity on me and let me go home. I fell asleep in my car in the driveway seconds after getting home because I was so exhausted. The next day, I called out of work and had B take me to an urgent care.

At the urgent care, they took some x-rays, poked and prodded, and minutes after seeing me said "Go to the ER. NOW. Your gallbladder is going downhill fast, and you'll most likely need it removed." So, off we went.

Three hours of waiting in the ER with Bill and my friend Sherry later... They call me back. I chicken out on the IV, but it worked out for my benefit, because moving your arm is hard, and they had me in some strange positions for the ultrasound on my gallbladder. Came back, got the IV while watching corgi videos to try and take my mind off of it (which didn't work), and then went for a CAT scan. I'm omitting all the embarrassing morphine parts because...well... they were pretty bad. After the CAT scan, they took me to this waiting area with all the other sick people, which had recliners, to await my results and....

When the words "you need surgery" came out of the doctors mouth, I just started crying. I had never had surgery before, so I was terrified of needing it. After a bit more waiting, they wheeled me up in a wheelchair to my room. I had the nicest nurse, his name was Ernie. Then the real waiting began. Luckily, I had Sherry there with me for a little while to keep me company and keep my mind off of things as best she could.

Because I was an "emergency surgery," they had to find somewhere to fit me into the schedule. At first they told me early morning (7:30), then late afternoon (maybe after 3:30). They showed up at 10:30. Bill wasn't back to the hospital yet, so I was freaking out, crying the whole time I had to change into this backless gown from my warm and comfy sweats. Can't go into surgery with anything you weren't born with (except this wretched gown). [Not going to lie though, because they had me on so many fluids because of me severe dehydration, I had to pee SO BAD after I woke up from surgery, I was so thankful for the backless gown with no undies.] Bill arrived just in the nick of time, so I got to see him before I got put under. The last thing I remember saying before passing out was "Hey, this looks nothing like Grey's Anatomy..."
Fast forward 6 hours... I'm just starting to wake up from anesthesia. I remember not being able to move, my legs felt like they weighed 20 tons. I couldn't speak because my throat hurt terribly (to be fair, it had been through a lot between a breathing tube and a camera going down it), and all I could move was my right hand. I heard a familiar voice on TV and remember trying to tell Bill: "That guy on TV... I KNOW HIM. IT'S LIV'S DAD I KNOW HIM" but of course I could barely muster anything louder than a hoarse whisper, and thus Bill didn't hear me in time to see Mr. Devine on TV. Bill ask the nurse if I was allowed to have a cough drop after I begged him (and then he begged her on my behalf). After surgery, I was literally allowed to eat and drink whatever I want, yet I wanted nothing.

Allison and her then new boyfriend Sean came to visit me, which I wasn't expecting. I don't remember much other than I thought he looked like Jesus and that I REALLY had to pee, so I kicked everyone out so the nurse could help me. (Can we just talk about how there is no dignity in hospitals? Before surgery I was allowed to keep my pants. Before and after surgery? No dice.)

I was kept overnight for observation, typical after surgery stuff. Allison brought me home from the hospital, and took me to get my meds and even got me Panera. Everyone needs a friend like Allison. She's seriously the best.

After my return home, I had a slew of visitors. Vicki came to visit be and brought me flowers. Andrew and Dom came to visit and also brought me Panera. (In case you haven't figured it out by now, I really enjoy Panera.) Steph stopped by to visit, but I was asleep.

A few days later, I was supposed to go to Coleen's wedding, but wasn't sure if I was going to make it. Shout out to my style team of Bill and Lauren for helping me shower, get dressed, doing my hair, and doing my makeup! <3
Since then, I've finished another semester (not without it's fair share of dilemmas), and I'm about to start a new semester. I celebrated two years at the same company. I turned 21. I've made and lost friends. I got to go to a meet-up with at least 100 corgis (which I should've taken better pictures of, I know). I'm about to celebrate my three year anniversary with Bill. It's almost time for my lease to be up and potentially get a new Honda. 

This blog post is practically a novel at this point, but I want to leave off with a list of goals I intend to reach before the end of the month/year.
  1. Create a routine. Stick to it.
  2. Stop eating junk ALL the time. Sometimes is okay.
  3. Drink more water. 
  4. Lose some weight before the end of the year.
  5. Do that water color of Rose Quartz from Steven Universe.
  6. Learn how to use a planner.
  7. Actually do well in school this semester. (Last semester and the one before it were rough ones. We can do this, though.)
Until next time, my loves~

No comments:

Post a Comment